Chosen Generation Youth Ministries
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Clock

Books books books..

+4
summerday
Sammie
JoshAllen
Em
8 posters

Go down

Books books books.. Empty Books books books..

Post  Em Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:39 pm

I'll go first with books, I see I'm the only geek here at the moment;

I loved reading the Hobbit. But am very afraid to read any of the Lord of the Rings books, the movies were brilliant, I don't want to say one is better than the other so I'm sticking to the movies Smile

I also liked reading House and Thr3e by Ted Dekker. Late at night isn't the best time to read those tho......
Those get freakin scurry! Anyway, hehe... If something with two letters, like TV, can occupy the mind so easily, imagine what you can do with 26...... READ A BOOK Books books books.. Lol
Em
Em

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Books books books.. Empty Re: Books books books..

Post  JoshAllen Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Em wrote:I'll go first with books, I see I'm the only geek here at the moment;

Actually, I already started the Books Topic with This Present Darkness/Piercing the Darkness. Kyle just hasn't moved them into the Books Sub-Category yet. So haha! Oh, and I suggested the sub-category of Books too. Double so hahaha!

I've read House and thought it was great. Haven't read Thr3e. Didn't care for the movie. Maybe the book will be better.

Speaking of which, the previews for House the movie look excellent, can't wait till it comes out in April on DVD!

And no, those are not books to read before bed!
JoshAllen
JoshAllen

Number of posts : 973

http://www.joshallenfreer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sammie Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:51 pm

I'm pretty sure this thread should be under 'Art, Poetry and Literature'
Sammie
Sammie

Number of posts : 522

http://www.myspace.com/sam_mestas

Back to top Go down

Post  Em Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Well Sam, it isn't. Deal with it your way Wink

And Josh, at least I have the first literal post;; So hahaha yourself dorkus.....

The book is better than the movie, I got through it in three days. That's gotta say something more than "Who could read a book in that short of time?!?!"

Ummmmm, I wanna see House bounce
Em
Em

Back to top Go down

Post  JoshAllen Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Sammie wrote:I'm pretty sure this thread should be under 'Art, Poetry and Literature'

Uhm, why? It's about books. Not literature. Literature to me is the stuff that your English teacher MAKES you read in your Sophomore Year. Literature to me is Shakespeare and all those other peeps. This is for books. The only people who refer to books as Literature are stuffy Brittish people with strong accents!
JoshAllen
JoshAllen

Back to top Go down

Post  summerday Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:02 am

JoshAllen wrote:This is for books. The only people who refer to books as Literature are stuffy Brittish people with strong accents!

So that kind of contradicts what I was going to say. I was going to list some of my favorite books but one of them is Jane Eyre(by Charlotte Bronte) which is considered "British Literature". Anyways...cut and paste where you want that one.

Ummm...

Books by Max Lucado: No Wonder They Call Him the Savior (probably my favorite!), God Came Near, Six Hours One Friday, Applause of Heaven, And the Angels Were Silent, Just In Case You Ever Wonder (children's book), He Still Moves Stones, The Crippled Lamb (children's book), A Gentle Thunder, In the Grip of Grace, He Chose the Nails, and Cure For the Common Life I guess you could call me a fan. What a Face

Books by Frank Peretti: This Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness, Hangman's Curse, The Oath, The Visitation, Monster, House

Yeah, fan of him too...this post is getting too long. I may post more favorites later unless I reread this and sound like too much of a nerd. Geez...I am a nerd...those were only 3 authors. Embarassed
summerday
summerday

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2009-03-05

http://www.ketchikanchurchofgod.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Em Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:13 am

Hangman's Curse was most def a good one Smile

I love classics like Jane Eyre and Pigmalion Very Happy

For realz, theyz good stuff...
Em
Em

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 pm

I still need to finish the Hobbit... I only got a little past the beginning. I think I left off with the party meeting three trolls? o_o;

Cornelia Funke: Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath. I LOVE the whole original idea of the story. It's very well-written and, in my opinion, holds your interest to the very end. Cornelia put into words what it'd be like to meet characters within storybooks (villains and heroes both), and even to be suddenly thrust into a story. And you can't deny that you have those secret desires sometimes. Wink There's a witty fire-eater (my favorite of them all), a bookbinder sharing a strong bond with his only daughter, a grouchy old woman, menacing villains...
There's also a movie that came out into theaters recently based on the first book, Inkheart... I don't suggest seeing it if you haven't read the books. They didn't really stick to the story, and it doesn't do the book justice. If you have seen the movie... try reading the books anyway.

Christopher Poalini: Eragon, Eldest (this part is very slow, but still pretty good), Brisingr. Dragon Riders, magic, good versus evil, dwarves, elves... It's pretty awesome.
By the way, I shun the Eragon movie. I like to pretend it doesn't even exist, because they totally messed it up to the point of no return. Very Happy The books for me.

C.S. Lewis: All of the Chronicles of Narnia series, which I'm re-reading currently. I need to read more of his stuff.

J.M. Barrie: The classic, Peter Pan. It's a little sad at the end, though that might just be me. But I like the book anyway. I've always liked Peter Pan, especially when I was little, because I admired his ability to fly. I used to jump off tables and chairs and stuff because I thought I could fly, too.

I've read a lot more than this, but these are my current favorites. :3
Jessica
Jessica

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  JoshAllen Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:56 am

summerday wrote:
JoshAllen wrote:This is for books. The only people who refer to books as Literature are stuffy Brittish people with strong accents!

So that kind of contradicts what I was going to say.

Sorry. Take it as you will. Just trying to state that there can be two seperate sub-categories for books and literature.

And Jess, you've got some great peoples there! JM Barrie! C.S. Lewis! Lewis also has an AMAZING Sci-Fi Trilogy! Beyong awesome! And Christopher Paolini is also amazing! I didn't find Eldest slow though. I thought it surpassed the typical second book dullness. I can't wait for the 4th book! I'm ecstatic about it actually. I'm also quite curious to see what he does AFTER the Inheritance Cycle. But I agree, the movie was blasphemy! Horrid! Oh well, one day I'll remake it into the justice of a movie it deserves! And then I'll have all 4 to do! Yay!
JoshAllen
JoshAllen

Back to top Go down

Post  marsella Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:24 pm

hmm the most reading i ever do is when i read the bible i used to read alot in kca hmmm does comic's count?

marsella

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-03-20

http://www.myspace.com/damonlovessyou

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:20 am

But I agree, the movie was blasphemy! Horrid! Oh well, one day I'll remake it into the justice of a movie it deserves! And then I'll have all 4 to do! Yay!

LOL. If you need any help, I'd be happy to be of any service. Wink
Jessica
Jessica

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sammie Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:44 pm

Some of my favorite books are: A Child Called 'It', The Lost Boy, and A Man Named Dave all by Dave Pelzer.

They are basically the story of his life and how he was a victim of child abuse, how he learned to overcome, and how the abuse affected his adult life. They are amazing!
Sammie
Sammie

Back to top Go down

Post  J-Bob Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:32 am

Sammie wrote:Some of my favorite books are: A Child Called 'It', The Lost Boy, and A Man Named Dave all by Dave Pelzer.

They are basically the story of his life and how he was a victim of child abuse, how he learned to overcome, and how the abuse affected his adult life. They are amazing!

"A Child Called 'It'"- that's a heavy read. I first read that book when I was 9 or 10 years old.

Some of my all-time favs are "Peace Child" by Don Richardson, "The Cay" by Theodore Taylor, "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar" by Roald Dahl, "The BFG" by Roald Dahl, "The Hobbit" by you-should-know-who, "Nightmare Academy" by Frank Peretti, "This Present Darkness" by Frank Peretti, & that's only to name a few! Very Happy

(I used to read books ALL THE TIME- until I hit High School. study I even used to hit the library often, reading everything from comic books, For Dummies books, cook books, childrens' books, foreign books, collectives of poetry and art, history books, tech manuals... *sigh* I've spent MANY hours in the Ketchikan library)
J-Bob
J-Bob

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2009-03-05

http://www.myspace.com/jacobphasty

Back to top Go down

Post  Garrett Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:50 pm

Anything by William Sleator (mildly short, but still entertaining books. House of Stairs, The Last Universe, etc.), Dune by Frank Herbert, and other than those I've had a really hard time getting into any books I've read. =/

Garrett

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sammie Thu May 14, 2009 8:12 pm

Yay! I just ordered a Dean Koontz book called "The Darkest Evening of the Year"
Review:
Set mostly in Southern California, this topnotch thriller from bestseller Koontz (The Good Guy) depicts with unabashed emotion and wit the magical powers of golden retrievers—in particular, a female named Nickie, who will stop at nothing to save innocent children and protect their guardians. Amy Redwing, the survivor of a horrifying marriage, establishes Golden Heart to rescue golden retrievers, rehabilitate the abused ones and find forever homes. A supernatural chain of events ensues after Amy and her architect boyfriend, Brian McCarthy, rescue Nickie during a violent intervention in a family dispute. Soon the pair are on a mission that leads to a transformative confrontation with a number of ugly characters. This is the perfect book for thriller addicts who know the darkest hour is just before dawn and for canine lovers who remember dog spelled backwards is god.
Sammie
Sammie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum